Fat Cat Traveller Community has a dedicated army of WWOOFers that take turns to feed their fellow workers with some top quality vegetarian and often home-grown grub. These veggie burgers were the pick of the bunch and the chef, Alexa, was kind enough to share the recipe.
Burgers (makes 6-8): 250g chickpeas, 125g white rice, 1 carrot grated, parsley roughly chopped, 2 garlic gloves crushed, 1 green pepper diced, ¼ tsp of chilli, salt and pepper
Buns (makes 8): 3/4 tbsp active dry yeast, 90ml warm water, 30ml vegetable oil, 25g sugar, 1 egg beaten, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 300g white flour
Caramelised onions, sliced avocado with lime, tomato relish, salad of your choice
- Cook both the chickpeas and rice until soft.
- While both are still hot mix together with a potato masher using some elbow grease! Once well melded, mix in the remaining ingredients and form the patties.
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water, add the oil and sugar then set aside for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and flour. Make a soft dough, adding more flour if necessary. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Divide into 8 balls and place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425°C for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks and cool.
- Prepare the toppings and any side dish of your choosing.
- Fry the patties until golden and crispy. Keep warm in the oven until serving..
- Set the table and dish out the goodness!