Fat Cat Travellers Community provided a very diplomatic garden to WWOOF in. Everyone did their part and contributed in their own way. This system created a collaborative feel for those involved and helped spur us on to introduce some potato tyres into the garden. It’s a simple concept and very easy to put together.
- Start by placing plant bed liners into the tyre.
- Fill it with some good top soil and fertiliser.
- Plant some seedling potatoes and cover with another tyre. Keep the soil moist, but not too damp as this will cause the potatoes to rot.
- Cover with more soil and tyres as the leaves grow. Never completely cover the leaves, they need some loose soil to keep growing.
- Repeat this process until the potato tyres are tall and proud.
- When the plant dies, the potatoes are ready, but you can harvest earlier if you want some baby-medium sized spuds. You can also keep the potatoes in the soil for a month or so.